Denton Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
If your loved one suffered abuse or neglect through a trusted caregiver, a Denton nursing home abuse lawyer can help you understand your legal options and pursue compensation for your elderly family member.
Call today for a free consultation: 1-800-516-4783.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse happens in many ways. While many people first think of physical assaults, there are also several other types that can lead to physical, emotional, and financial damage for the victim. Nursing home residents often struggle to defend themselves, and many cannot or are too fearful to report the abuse.
A Denton nursing home abuse and neglect attorney can help you understand nursing home abuse and take legal action against the abuser and the nursing home administration. You may have a valid case if your loved one suffered:
- Neglect (e.g., bedsores, failure to give medication on schedule, failure to assist with daily hygiene, failure to follow fall prevention plans, etc.)
- Physical abuse (e.g., kicking, hitting, pinching, unnecessary restraint, force-feeding, etc.)
- Sexual abuse (can include any unwanted sexual contact, such as groping, assault, or rape, or even explicit conversations or actions, such as watching pornography around a resident)
- Emotional abuse (e.g., ignoring or isolating a resident, humiliating a resident, yelling at or threatening a resident, failing to meet any other emotional needs)
- Financial theft or fraud (e.g., persuading a resident to add a caregiver to a will or power of attorney or as an authorized user on a credit or debit card, stealing, charging for services not rendered, etc.)
- Any violation of their rights as a long-term care resident
If your loved one suffered neglect or abuse in a nursing home, assisted living facility, or other long-term care facility in Denton or elsewhere in Denton County, a nursing home abuse lawyer can help you seek justice. Call today to have an attorney review your aging senior’s case and offer legal assistance for pursuing compensation: 1-800-516-4783.
What to Do If You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse
If you believe your loved one is suffering abuse or neglect in their nursing home, follow these steps:
- Call 911 if your loved one or another resident is in immediate danger.
- Report the abuse to facility management.
- Speak with a long-term care ombudsman about your concerns.
- Speak with an attorney to protect your loved one’s rights and seek justice for their harm.
A Denton Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Can Help You Recover Compensation
Nursing home abuse cases are often complex and vary significantly from other types of personal injury cases. Building a strong case and holding the nursing home liable often requires:
- A strong understanding of the nursing home industry and nursing home laws
- Knowing how to investigate nursing home abuse
- The ability to get and analyze medical and financial records
- Working closely with expert witnesses
Get help from an injury lawyer who has experience handling nursing home abuse and neglect cases: 1-800-516-4783.
Recoverable Damages in a Denton Nursing Home Abuse Case
The types of damages available vary depending on the expenses and losses the abuse victim suffered. Some of the most common include:
- Medical care costs related to neglect or abuse
- Psychological counseling costs
- Expenses and losses related to financial abuse and fraud
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
If your loved one passed away and you believe nursing home abuse or neglect played a role, a Denton nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer may be able to pursue compensation through a wrongful death action on your behalf. Call today to see if a lawyer can help you: 1-800-516-4783.
Texas Law Limits How Long We Have to Act
Texas law puts a strict statute of limitations on nursing home abuse cases, as well as other personal injury cases. You generally only have two years from the date you discovered your loved one’s injuries to take legal action. If you do not file a civil suit by the time this deadline arrives, the statute will likely prevent you from litigating your case. This means you would likely need to pay all your expenses out of pocket.
Sometimes, a Denton nursing home abuse attorney can argue that your loved one has a mental or physical incapacity and could not report their injuries or abuse any earlier. However, this is not guaranteed, and they could still bar you from filing your case.
For this reason, it is in your best interest to call a nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer in Denton as soon as possible to get started: 1-800-516-4783.
Talk to a Denton Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Today
If a member of your family suffered abuse or neglect at the hands of their caregivers in a Denton nursing home, they deserve justice and compensation. A Denton nursing home abuse lawyer can help you get it.
Call 1-800-516-4783 today to get started pursuing the compensation your loved one deserves.