June 13, 2011
A lawsuit has been filed by the estate of a woman who died after choking at Johnson Mathers Nursing Home in Carlisle, Kentucky.
The nursing home abuse lawsuit alleges that the woman was left unattended while choking on food which led to her death, and workers later falsified documents to hide their negligence.
The nursing home was issued a Type A citation by the Cabinet for Health and Family Services’ Office of Inspector General, meaning a resident’s life or safety was in danger due to state regulation violations.
The lawsuit says the resident’s nurse identified the woman as choking but did not alert other staff and took as much as 10 minutes to clean a dirty suction machine, even though a clean emergency suction machine was available. When the nurse returned she was unable to clear the blockage.
The woman died at Johnson Mathers Hospital emergency room.
The nurse accused of negligence still has an active license.
If you believe your loved one died because of nursing home negligence we urge you to contact a nursing home abuse lawyer immediately.