Free Attorney Consultation

1-800-516-4783

November 24th, 2010

In a nursing home abuse case, an Iowa jury has awarded $491,747 to the estate of a man who died following an accident at Grinnell’s Friendship Manor Care Center.

In June 2009, Wilbur Jackson, 89, was strapped into a gurney as he was being taken to a nearby hospital for tests. As the gurney was being moved outside one of the wheels hit a crack in the walkway, flipping the gurney over. Jackson’s head hit the pavement, causing him to lapse into a coma from which he never recovered. Jackson died the following month.

The family sued the nursing home and Midwest Ambulance. The jury concluded that 90 percent of the fault was on the nursing home who was ordered to pay $491,747. The other 10 percent of the blame went to Midwest Ambulance who has to pay $54,639.

“It was a tragic accident,” Patrick McNulty, the Des Moines attorney for Midwest Ambulance, said. “Obviously, the jury found the lion’s hare of fault was with Friendship Manor, but we accept that share of the responsibility the jury gave us.”

source: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20101123/NEWS10/11230348/-1/sitemap/Jury-Grinnell-nursing-home-must-pay-491-747-in-man-s-death

Fields marked with an * are required

Contact Brown & Brothers

Award-Winning National Nursing Home Abuse Law Firm

Free Consultation

Complete the form below, and your case will be reviewed within 24 hours

se habla espaƱol

Become A Fan on Facebook