Cancer Patient Dies from Alleged Chemo Overdose in Nursing Home
October 16th, 2012
Juan Lopez, a 65-year-old male, entered Riverdale Nursing Home in January 2009, for treatment of Stage IV colon cancer. His doctor prescribed him the chemotherapeutic medication, Xeloda. On February 16, 2009, he became dehydrated and was transported to Montefiore Medical Center. He underwent treatment, but could not be saved. He died April 7, 2009.
Lopez’s estate sued Riverdale for negligently administering toxic overdoses of Xeloda and failure to timely detect the effects of the overdose. They claimed that the nurse failure to properly transcribe the prescription prescribed by the doctor. Defense counsel claimed that Lopez’s death was a result of his cancer. A pretrial settlement was agreed upon, and Riverdale Nursing Home paid $900,000 to Lopez’s estate.